The Nozzle Design

20 04 2009

nozzle





Laminar Nozzle Cutter Test 2

11 04 2009

The cutter is working much better since I added the baffle.  The baffle is working almost perfectly except for that pesky leak.  I’m pretty sure that leak is comming from the brass nozzle/plexiglass interface. I suppose that I will just add some more expoxy and hope that it works this time.

Here are a couple of my thoughts regarding the cutter.

1. Fix the electronic switching so that it flips the electricity from one solenoid to the other immediately.

2. Fix the drip.

3. Fix the drain for the water.  I think it is probably the biggest of the three right now in order to make the cutter work properly.





Laminar Nozzle Speed Cutting Test

11 04 2009

A friend of mine posted a video of his cutter just cutting so that we could gauge the speed of his cutting.  I’ve decided to do the same.  If you have done this let me know how your’s compares.  If you have any concerns or possible design improvements let me know.  I’ve been told that this is the trickest part of the whole laminar fountain, and it is pretty tricky to get it to work the way I dream it.





Laminar Nozzle Cutter Mechanism Test 1

8 04 2009

I got a prototype working last night for the cutter mechanism!  It works….mostly.  There are some bugs in that I have to work out, but all in all a strong showing.

It may be difficult to see, but when it is un-cut there are more blurbs (I don’t know what to call it!  If you have a good name submit it please!) than there should be.  I’m thinking it is probably from the water splashing on the upper plate and then dripping down onto the nozzle and then getting sucked up by the stream casuing the annomally (there’s a good word for it).  That’s my guess.  Any suggestions as to what it is would be greatly appreciated.





Laminar Nozzle 8″ Prototype Test 1

3 04 2009

Let me know what you think!!!!  Have any suggestions?  Have you built one of these before?  Are you going to build one?  Please leave a comment.





Trebuchet – The First Fling

19 11 2008

We had our first test of the trebuchet with the full 600+ lbs of concrete, and well it a huge… Well just see for yourself!  This was the very first toss!

trebuchet-sequence2

Photo sequence provided by Irotras! Thanks for the awesome shots!

I don’t know how far it went exactly because we were so busy tossing the next pumpkin, but by my estimates the really heavy pumpkins (about 15+ lbs) were going about 100 ft. and the small pumpkins (about 6-8 lbs) were going about 200 ft.  That’s good, but it can be better!  One thing that was clearly evident in watching the trebuchet is that there is too much friction in the throwing arm and main axle joint.

I have some video that was taken with a real video camera, and once clean it up I will post that.

I would like to thank every one that helped me out on this project, specially my wife for being understanding and listening to the days and day of technobabel.





Trebuchet – Lockout/Safety

13 11 2008

We wanted to add a safety on the trebuchet you don’t get an accidental misfire, since we are dealing with 600lbs dropping and generating 1 ton of force!!!!  This is a potentially deadly force.  Every care must be taken so as not to have a misfire.  That is why we designed a lockout mechanism or a safety mechanism.

It’s very simple it consists of a large diameter solid steel rod that is feed through the entire trebuchet.  This locks out the throwing arm. img_0081

Pushing the rod through enable people to get close to the trebuchet.  Then people can load the trebuchet with the ballistics, and put in the firing pin.

img_0083